To read my story from the beginning...go here

About Me

My photo
Well, I am a mother of a 21 year old who is trying to find his way in this world. I am a military wife to a man that I adore. I am the daughter of two of the best parents in the world. I am a friend to those that are a friend to me. I am a teacher. I am a believer. AND NOW, I am a Lyme fighter!

Monday, July 31, 2017

SCIG begins!

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to post a quick update.  Last Tuesday I had my first subcutaneous Immunoglobulin therapy infusion (SCIG).  The infusion went fine.  The insurance approved one infusion a week for six months.  Tomorrow will be my second infusion.  I am hoping after tomorrow to be able to do them from home.  The infusion itself takes about two hours.  I've had a lot of people ask me what it's like to do this therapy.  You can watch the short video below to see how this works if you'd like.  Essentially,  I am putting 5 little needles in my body fat, the needles are connected to tubing which is connected to a syringe that is placed into a pump to push the IG in at the right rate.  When it is finished, I pull the needles, and put a little band-aid on where the needle was.  Sometimes you can get little welts but eventually they go away.



So what is the stuff that's going into my body?
It's immunoglobulin otherwise known as IG.  IG is the part of blood plasma that contains antibodies.  I am getting lots of other people's antibodies pushed into my body for two reasons, 1) to address my immune deficiency problem and 2) to address the CIDP.  

School starts one week from tomorrow.  I've been feeling pretty crummy most of the summer.  I would appreciate all my prayer warriors to pray that I am well enough to return to work next week. That is my hope.  I've been thinking all summer about things we can do this school year to make gains.  I'd really love to be in a much better place come next week.

Thanks everyone for stopping by and reading.   



No comments:

Post a Comment